Quitting Smoking One Day at a Time...

QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Trim Up Tuesday...Yeah Right! I'm Trying for Next Tuesday!

Hi all....
Thanks for the support during a really rough patch! I looked at my days and today I have 147 days off of tobacco and nicotine! That is five months! Amazing huh? Per doctors orders, I am tapering down the Chantix and am on one pill a day. I just filled the last prescription and am supposed to do one pill for two weeks, a half a pill and so on. My doctor was really cool about giving me the full six month allotment and making sure I got through the stresses in my life. My sister (who smoked) recently moved out so not having to see or smell Marlboro's (and there is a specific smell to those cigarettes believe me) has made things a lot easier. I have tons of deadlines and have not been able to really post as much as I would like to but I am with you guys on the fitness thing! I am really glad that many of us are addressing the fitness/weight gain issues in the "Trim Up Tuesday" blog.

As for my fitness plans, I had been thinking about what to do with my cigarette savings and on a whim took my money that I saved from smoking (plus a bit of savings I had) and decided to put a deposit so I could attend "fitcamp" that is going to be hosted by one of the "Biggest Loser" winners Isabeau Miller in Nashville Tenn. (She was trained by Jillian Michaels of the Black team for anyone who watches the show.) I decided to worry about how I would get the money later. This is definitely not how I do things…especially things that are that big of a financial commitment. I don’t know how to say it, but I was feeling some level of faith that I just can’t really explain or put into words so I just decided “go for it!” Kind of like when I decided to try Chanitx and go to the stop smoking program for the 5th of 6hth time. It was the right place, the right time, the right people, the right facilitator and it just happened to work. (Knock of wood!)Ironically, right after I sent in deposit as well as the first monthly payment, I heard that many teachers, including myself could possibly be being laid off. I started to feel really financially insecure but I made the decision that I would not let my financial insecurities of "what if?" get in the way of changing my life. I figured that if I sent in my deposit plus my first payment, the money would somehow get taken care of. I don’t know if it will came from me hustling tutoring jobs, winning the lottery, getting an extra check or maybe the funds will come from some way that I can’t predict. All I know is if I do the footwork, the results will follow. I really believe in the laws of attraction (I think I had just read Tracy Souix's blog about it when I decided to "go for it") and know that things will not change unless I do things to help facilitate the changes that I am looking for. I decided to send in an application for a partial scholarship from the contest that was posted on Jimmy Moore's low-carb website. For those of you who are interested in applying , the link is http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2008/02/think-you-can-handle-isabeau-millers.html You guys probably think I lost my mind because I definitely do! For me making a commitment is the first part of success. Besides, I have wasted thousands of dollars on smoking not to mention two hours a week. ) If I can quit smoking which is by far the HARDEST thing I have ever done, I think I can take some walks around the block and stop eating fast food from the .99 cent menu!
As for specific diet changes, I am currently deciding between a couple of different programs and have a cut off day of April 7th where I absolutely must be on a specific eating plan and have begun an exercise program. Until then, I want to cut out soda except for once a week and cut out fast food except for the healthy menu options. I will let you know how it goes.
Peace,
Diva

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm finally starting to try, but this, too, is just one day at a time...

Mz Diva said...

I really mean two hours a day on smoking but for whatever reason I cannot edit this blog so I will try later!
Diva

MamaFlo said...

I agree with Maggie, take it one day at a time and don't look at this as a diet but rather a lifestyle change.
You can do this Diva!
Congratulations on 5 months quit, I'm proud of you!!!